Caltrans To Begin Vertical Bridge Clearance and Auxiliary LaneConstruction Project on State Route 99
Today’s Date: February 1, 2021
District: 10 - Stockton
Phone: (209) 948-7176
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Caltrans To Begin Vertical Bridge Clearance and Auxiliary Lane Construction Project on State Route 99 in Lodi
Project will raise Victor Road and Lockeford Street Overcrossings, remove Union Pacific Overcrossing, construct Auxiliary Lane between Victor and Turner Roads
STOCKTON – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is preparing to begin a project that will improve vertical clearance for freight vehicles as well as overall efficiency for motorists on State Route 99 (SR-99) through Lodi.
This estimated $19.2 million project was awarded to Security Paving Company, Inc. (Westlake Village, CA), who will perform the bridge work required to provide the 16-feet, six-inch standard vertical clearance in order to eliminate high-load bridge strikes, which result in costly repairs and traffic delays. The existing structures currently have low clearance and have experienced damaged bridge girders due to several high-load strikes.
Beginning mid-to-late February 2021 (weather dependent), crews will work during day and night shifts, Sunday through Friday, with completion expected in Spring 2022.
PROJECT DETAILS & IMPORTANT MOTORIST INFORMATION
- Work will begin with raising of the Lockeford Street Overcrossing, followed by raising of the Victor Road Overcrossing, and demolition of the out-of-service Lodi Union Pacific Overcrossing.
- Bridge and structure work will require traffic lane shifts on the northbound and southbound lanes of SR-99, using the center median. Two lanes of traffic will remain open in each direction during most of construction.
- Up to six (6) overnight (11:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m.) full closures of SR-99 (only one direction at a time) will be required during construction.
- DETOUR INFO: During these full closures, northbound motorists will be directed to exit at Victor Road/SR-12 to Cluff Avenue, to Lockeford Street, to Beckman Road and use the Beckman Road on-ramp returning to SR-99. Southbound motorists will exit at Turner Road and use Cherokee Lane, then using the Victor Road/SR-12 on-ramp returning to SR-99. Road sign signage will be in place to help direct motorists through all detours.
- Work will be done in phases, with only one overcrossing closed at a time.
- Temporary sidewalks will be in place on the overcrossings to allow for pedestrian access during construction.
- Motorists will still have access to all city streets and local businesses leading up to the Lockeford Street and Victor Road Overcrossings on the east and west sides of SR-99.
- The Victor-Road/SR-12 on-ramp to northbound SR-99 will be improved and a new auxiliary lane will be built between Victor Road/SR-12 and Turner Road to allow for easier freeway access and to reduce congestion.
- The Lodi Park & Ride will remain open but is expected to see a reduction of parking spaces during construction.
This project will benefit commuters traveling to and from the cities of Stockton, Lodi and Sacramento, as well as truckers hauling commercial and agricultural goods throughout San Joaquin County and beyond.
Caltrans will provide continuous updates on scheduled traffic shifts and any other lane closure details in future traffic advisories and weekly road reports.
For more information and updates on additional projects, please visit www.dot.ca.gov/d10/projects or on Twitter via @CaltransDist10.
The work schedule is subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and/or materials, and/or construction-related issues.